The UNU-FTP offers 4-6 new scholarships per year to former UNU-FTP fellows
for postgraduate degree studies in Iceland. The scholarships are awarded
on a competitive basis to those who are accepted into any of the
Icelandic universities that offer graduate studies in fisheries and related
subjects. Only those whose studies at the UNU-FTP will count for a minimum
24 ECTS towards the post-graduate degree are eligible for
a scholarship. The proposed thesis/dissertation must be of relevance to
the fisheries in the recipient's country.
MSc scholarships are awarded for 13 months
PhD scholarships (not full) may be awarded for up to 24 months depending
on progress and other means of funding.
The scholarship includes:
1. One air ticket per year to and from Iceland (economy class).
2. Living allowance equivalent to Icelandic student loans (IKR 75000 as
of September 1st 2008). The allowance is only payable for the period the
recipient is in Iceland. An exception can be made if the recipient needs
to leave the country for his/her thesis/dissertation research (max 2 months).
3. Housing allowance (IKR 50000 as of September 1st 2008). The housing
allowance may be paid for up to 2 months while the recipient is out of
4. Contribution to the costs of the final project at the discretion of
the UNU-FTP. An approved research proposal and itemised budget is required.
5. University fees.
6. Book allowance (IKR 20000 per semester as of September 1st 2008)
7. Lap top computer and service for those who have not previously received
a computer from the UNU-FTP.
8. Medical and accident insurance during the first 6 months, whereafter
the recipient becomes eligible for the social insurance in Iceland.
9. The cost of attending collaborative Nordic post-graduate courses (1
course for MSc students and 2 courses for PhD students). This includes
course fees, a budget air fare and modest guesthouse accommodation. The
recipient must pay for other expenses such as meals and local transport.
10. Registration fees at conferences (at the discretion of the UNU-FTP).
11. Immigration fees
The recipient must:
" Submit, at the beginning of his/her studies, a plan of study for
the whole study period approved by the study committee.
" Submit a plan of financing for the whole study period (PhD students
" Provide a brief progress report at the end of each term, confirmed
by university and/or supervisor.
" Be responsible for all additional costs such as changes of flights,
transport to and from airports etc.
For more information contact Dr. Tumi Tomasson (email@example.com) or Mr.
Thor Asgeirsson (firstname.lastname@example.org)