The selection criteria used for cooperative
- The country has to be considered a developing country. For guidance,
the list over develping countries published by the UNDP is used.
- Fisheries has to play an important part in the country's or the region's
- The country has to be entering the phase or have entered the phase
of an internationalization through expansion of their fisheries and
the development of an export orientated fisheries sector,
- The fisheries policy of the country has to be clear with a strategic
plan and a vision for the fishing industry,
- Fisheries projects should be ongoing, sponsored by donor countries
and/or international agencies.
- Emphasis is on African, sub-Sahara, countries (SADC countries),
- Establishment of a relationship with key national institutions and
organization in fisheries in the cooperative country is of great importance.